Re: Btrs vs ext4. Which one is more reliable?

On 10-08-17, David Wright wrote:
> On Thu 10 Aug 2017 at 07:04:09 (-0400), Dan Ritter wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 09:46:09PM -0400, David Niklas wrote:
> > > On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 04:59:40 +0000
> > > Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Also, my use case is at home where the power can and *does* fail. I also
> > > find myself using the latest kernel and oftentimes an experimental driver
> > > for my AMD graphics card, hence my need for a *very* stable fs over
> > > sudden unmount.
> >
> > Buy a cheap UPS with a USB or serial connection to your
> > computer. Even if it only supplies power for 2 minutes, that's
> > enough time for the computer to receive the power outage signal
> > and do an orderly shutdown.
>
> Two minutes barely covers the timeouts that can often occur when
> shutting down systemd; the commonest timeout period here seems
> to be 90 seconds. I wouldn't mind reducing them if that's possible.
> Processes got just a few seconds with sysvinit before they were
> killed.

Yes, those 90 sec waiting for nothing is one of the most annoying
"features" of systemd that I would love to get rid of. And most annoying
aspect of it is that problem is rarely constant. It can exist in one
release in systemd, vanish in other, and then come back again in next
release. And it can occur once in every 10 shutdowns/reboots, or not
occur once in every 10 shutdowns/reboots.