Re: Live recording

On 08/03/2017 08:19 AM, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
Jeremy Nicoll <jn.ml.dbn.25@letterboxes.org> writes:

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017, at 13:23, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

3) mic2 is stereo.
Not necessarily.  It might be a mono signal that's been duplicated across two
outputs.  It's only 2-channel if it can record two separate sounds at the
same time.

You can get microphones which, in a single unit, record more than one
channel at once.  Their labelling or artwork on them normally makes it
clear that they have L and R (or more than that) inputs.

What makes and models are your mics?

I can't tell, because they're old and I don't keep their specs.  One of them
was given to me about 15 years ago, the other I don't even remember how I have
it.  But I've got another teo: they are, each of them, part of a headphone.
They also let hear the recorded sound from both channels.  They are:

  http://www.trust.com/it/product/11916-primo-chat-headset

and

  http://www.trust.com/it/product/20685-mauro-headset

Rodolfo

I looked at both of the links. Note that there are two connections for each device: headset (earphone) connection and mic connection. The headset connection will be stereo, and the mic connection will be mono. If there is talkback (i.e., you can hear the mic output on the headphones,) the mic sound will appear in both earpieces,
but will not be stereo--it will just be the same sound in both earpieces.

You can't get something for nothing. If you want stereo, you will have to have two mics or a mic with two separate microphone elements aimed in two (left and right) directions. Such a device will have a plug with three connections on it: left, right, and ground. Your PC will not be able to handle such a microphone! You would need a stereo preamplifier to plug that mic into, and then you would plug the stereo output of the preamp into the LINE IN jack of the PC.

I would hope that this information will settle the question!

--doug