Re: Sudden death of bluetooth headphone connectivity

On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 02:03:36PM +0100, stuart watt wrote:
> On 08/03, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> > Hello the list!
> >
> > Suddenly, earlier this week, my bluetooth headphones stopped working
> > with Stretch.
> >
> > I update weekly, usually on Sundays, and I am not sure because I wasn't
> > paying attention whether I had successfully used my headphones before
> > the last update I did last Sunday.
> >
> > They definitely were working properly one week before that, when I used
> > them with the computer just before going off on a week-long business
> > trip.
> >
> > Anyway, I use Gnome. When I want to connect the headphones I turn them
> > on, click on the network-like icon in the top right of the screen, click
> > on "Not in Use" beside the Bluetooth icon, and then click on "Bluetooth
> > Settings". (Is there a more efficient, involving fewer clicks, way to
> > connect, by the way?)
> >
> > In Bluetooth Settings I can see my headphones as "BeoPlay H8". If I
> > click on them it brings up the window with the slider switch to connect
> > them. Normally, what would have happened is that clicking that switch
> > would have connected the headphones. WHat happens now is the switch goes
> > very briefly to the ON position, and then goes straight back to the OFF
> > position. Removing / forgetting the device and re-pairing leads to the
> > same result -- pairing is successful, but cannot connect.
> >
> > With journalctl -f running in a terminal while trying to connect I see
> > the following at the moment of clicking the slider switch to connect the
> > headphones: a2dp-sink profile connect failed for AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF:
> > Protocol not available
> > <bluetooth address elided, it is actually a sensible-looking bluetooth address>
> >
> > Now, call me a super-sleuth, but I suspect that Protocol Not Available
> > error could be something to do with the problem ;)
> >
> > To re-iterate, this was working until recently, and all I've done is
> > install regular updates using apt update / apt upgrade.
> >
> > Where should I start looking?
> >
> > [Full disclosure -- I previously had a different problem on upgrading to
> > Stretch from Jessie -- see this link for that problem and a link to its
> > solution --> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/06/msg01196.html
> > I have never been particularly happy with the solution I linked to in
> > that thread, precisely because I was worried it would be damaged by
> > updates, but it seems to be intact at this point, so I don't think that
> > is what the problem is here]
> >
> > Thanks in advance if anyone can help me diagnose the sudden loss of the
> > a2dp-sink protocol. The headphones work fine with my iPhone, so the
> > problem seems to be with the computer, with which they were working fine
> > until a bit over a week ago.
> >
> > Mark
> >

> Pulseaudio? If so what does pavucontrol say
>
> Did Bluez updates come through? maybe pulseaudio-bluetooth module?
>
> regards...

Of course, pavucontrol says nothing, because the headphones have not
been able to connect yet. As soon as they connect, the adp_sink error
disconnects them again, as I described in my original post.

The problem, I've got to think, is upstream of pulseaudio, no?

I don't know if bluez updates came through. There is no
pulseaudio-bluetooth package in Stretch -- there is a
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth package, which is installed.

Just to check, I've just done another apt update and then apt list
--upgradeable to have a look at what would get installed now -- most of
it is to do with the freerdp security update from earlier this week,
nothing relating to pulse or bluetooth.

Thanks again

Mark