Re: How to Work Around Bug?

On 2017-08-02 15:51 -0500, Kent West wrote:

> I'm running Sid (so I know brokenness happens), and I got bit by bug
> #869670, "linux-headers-4.11.0-2-amd64 : Depends:
> linux-headers-4.11.0-2-common (= 4.11.11-1+b1) but it is not going to be
> installed".
>
> I expected that a "grave" bug might get fixed pretty rapidly, so I've not
> worried too much about it, refreshing the bug report screen in my
> web-browser two or three times a day looking for any movement, but it's
> been nearly two weeks, and the only movement I've seen was me chiming in a
> "Me too, updates?" type post.

It's fixed in the git master branch, but this branch currently tracks
Linux 4.12, no idea when that might hit unstable.

> So I'm guessing it's not going to be fixed anytime soon. Can someone
> suggest a work-around? Perhaps a switch to aptitude/apt-get for force the
> install despite the broken dependency, etc? I need the header files for
> VirtualBox modules to recompile, so I can once again run my VirtualBox
> machines.

You can obtain the previous version of linux-headers-4.11.0-2-amd64 from
snapshot.debian.org:

http://snapshot.debian.org/package/linux/4.11.11-1/#linux-headers-4.11.0-2-amd64_4.11.11-1

Cheers,
       Sven