Darn 'beep' stoped working after installing Stretch in place of Jessie

Hi folks,

I installed (fresh install instead of an upgrade) Debian Stretch on my laptop.
The installation is full success without any problem except a little one -
'beep' does not produce a sound neither from CLI nor from a bash scripts. I had
Jessie installed on the same laptop before and it worked just fine.

I checked everything I possibly could: pcspkr module loaded, alsa does not have
any muted channels, tried to use it as a user and as a root. No clue why it does
not work any longer in Strech.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.