Re: best practices for a fresh install on a laptop

On 07/31/2017 07:45 AM, Joe wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 14:54:31 +0200
> Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> wrote:
>
>> On 31/07/17 07:39, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've recently had discussions with new users at various events who
>>> were installing Debian for the first time, usually on laptops.
>>>
>>> It is easy enough to run the installer and get Debian up and
>>> running.
>>>
>>> However, if the user is security conscious, or will be travelling to
>>> events and passing through hostile airport/border checkpoints, are
>>> there any extra suggestions about how the laptop could be setup?
>>>
>>> For example, should they use the default disk encryption strategy
>>> proposed by the Debian installer, or another strategy?  Or should
>>> they be considering a derivative or something else?
>>>
>>> Another question that comes up when I have this discussion with new
>>> users, they want to reduce their dependence on cloud services, so
>>> what is the currently recommended way to sync or replicate content
>>> from their laptop disk for backup purposes?  While I have various
>>> ways of doing this as a developer, what is proposed for
>>> non-developers?
>>

>> I received a private reply seeking clarification of the threat model
>>
>> Standard threats affecting all people who travel with a laptop these
>> days:
>>
>> 1. return of laptop for warranty service, technician has your data
>> 2. theft of laptop
>> 3. routine inspection by border officials (they may want the user to
>> log in and type screen unlock password or briefly attach a device for
>> "checking" the laptop)
>>
>> The user in mind: ordinary person who simply doesn't want to either:
>>
>> a) risk losing a copy of personal documents and photos when such loss
>> could have been easily prevented,
>>
>> b) lose time answering questions at a border checkpoint because their
>> laptop looks too secure or unusual.
>>
>> Obviously there are users who know they might be singled out for
>> closer scrutiny and they might go to extra effort but I'm simply
>> asking about the case of the ordinary user encountering ordinary but
>> sometimes unreasonably curious uniformed officials.
>>

> Fairly low down the scale, I'm not an international spy or inventor
> with secrets:
>
> I have a TrueCrypt (yes, I know it's unsupported, but to the best of my
> knowledge, it is still fairly safe) volume of 4GB stored as a file on
> my [Windows] laptop. It fits on a DVD for regular archiving, and on
> pretty much all USB sticks now. I don't use an enormous encrypted
> partition because I like the utter triviality of copying a single
> sub-DVD-sized file, and having it cross-platform compatible. Also,
> the size limitation means that I exercise some discipline in what is
> kept in it, I don't just throw everything in indiscriminately.
>
> I open it and use FreeFileSync to sync most of its data with my server
> when at home, I do the same with Unison with my workstation and server,
> [...]

Potentially useful resources:

Hardening Debian for the Desktop Using Grsecurity
https://micahflee.com/2016/01/debian-grsecurity/

Digital Privacy at the U.S. Border: Protecting the Data On Your Devices
and In the Cloud
https://www.eff.org/wp/digital-privacy-us-border-2017

Regards,
Ralph