Re: gdm login console keyboard settings are propagated to LUKS boot password prompt by initramfs-tools triggers

From: david.guyot@europecamions-interactive.com
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

Hello, there.

I noticed a strange thing: I use LUKS to encrypt my system, so it asks
me the passphrase at boot. As a bépo (a French Dvorak-like keymap)
user, I configured it, using Gnome preferences panel, on the gdm login
screen, as the only available keymap.

I noticed that, when aptitude runs, for any reason, initramfs-tools
,......snip...........WARNING: Unknown X keysym "dead_greek"

The missing firmware messages are OK, as you would think, but setupcon and dead_greek stuff are something else. The dead_greek part hints for a relation with bépo, as this keymap is supposed to have a greek dead key, which allows to type Greek letters using the Latin equivalent. I say "supposed" as Debian does not support it yet.

The consequence (if not post hoc ergo propter hoc) of these messages appearing is that it makes the LUKS passphrase prompt to use bépo. Now I know it, it"s not really a problem for typing the passphrase, but I really think this is a bug, as there was no clear warning about this side effect, neither from the triggers nor from Gnome Preferences. I used bépo under Jessie, but not for gdm3 login screen, and these bépo-related stuff never appeared, so I assume that it appeared as a consequence the use of bépo as the default keymap for gdm login screen.

I assume that the change of the default keymap for the gdm login screen is, in fact, a change of the keymap of the root user, and that, when the initramfs-tools triggers are fired, they propagate the new keymap to the LUKS prompt.

Here is an interesting LUKS related bug!

https://bugs.manjaro.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=72&order=severity&sort=desc
FS#72 - (calamares) luks accepts every WRONG password after install
What is wrong?
Using the build in encryption option of the manjaro installer.
Creating 3 encrypted partitions with the same password. / /home swap
Rebooting after installation and typing in the WRONG password decrypts the drives.
What is supposed to happen?
the system is not supposed to be able to decrypt the drives with the wrong password

I believe they must have been not really encrypted and it is just showing wrong, as they were.
A partition manager should be able to show what is really going on.