Re: Live recording

On Fri, 28 Jul 2017, at 20:11, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> According to:
>
>  http://www.upubuntu.com/2013/05/how-to-record-your-voice-from.html
>
> I record live sound via microphone just doing:
>
>  $ sox -t alsa default output.wav
>
> Now I was wondering about the stereo o non-stereo character of such a
> home made
> recording...  I tried to use two microphones together, plugging them
> together
> into the PC with a small common connection doubber.  Can we say the
> result is
> stereo...?  I would doubt...  and how to have - if possible - a stereo
> effect
> with the above basic recording instruments?

If you have a sound-card, or external 'audio interface' that can process
signals from
more than one channel at once, then you can record either 'double mono'
or
stereo.

Which you get depends on the directional characteristics of the
microphones and
how they are positioned relative to each other.  Stereo is not just two
sounds at
once, but (generally) two sounds captured at the same point in space.
Sound
recordists would usually use a pair of 'cardioid' response mics,
arranged in what's
called an 'X-Y' or 'crossed-pair' configuration.  You can google these
terms.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.