Re: Jessie to Stretch Upgrade: Enable Predictable Network Interface Names

Hi Patrick

Am 27.07.2017 um 17:15 schrieb debian-lists@patschie.de:
> Hi,
>
> I’m running into some troubles to enable the predictable network interface names for a system upgraded from Jessie.
>
> What I figured out so far:
> Setting net.ifnames=1 on the kernel command line doesn’t help and seems no longer to be supported parameter (at least "sysctl - a" doesn’t show it).

Setting that parameter should work, but it doesn't take precedence over
an existing /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Since net.ifnames=1 is the default since stretch, you don't need to set
it explicitly though.

> Removing any /etc/udev/rules.d/ file handling the network interface doesn’t bring the desired effect of having predictable network interface names.
>
> I started now to compare /lib/udev/rules.d from a clean stretch installation with the files on a upgraded system, the clean installation has much more files.
> So next try reinstalling udev to get all missing/new rule files from stretch, but that didn’t work either.
>
> Any ideas what I could try next or missed to check?

Most likely the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules got
embedded in the initramfs. So once you removed that file, you also need
to rebuild the initramfs via update-initramfs -u

Michael