Re: Stretch: xfce and xscreensaver

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 07:35:24AM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> Or do what I did: dispense with a screensaver entirely.  Haven't used
> one in years.  Waste of CPU cycles.  Besides modern computer screens
> don't even need them anymore.  They aren't prone to image burning
> like tube-type monitors were.  I just use xset or a power management
> utility, if installed, to "sleep" the monitor display after a set time
> of system idleness. Works great.

For many of us, the primary function of the screen saver isn't the
prevention of image burn-in, but rather the locking of the session to
prevent other people from taking control when we step away.

Personally I use i3lock for this.  Nice and simple.  I don't use any
kind of automatic invocation or idle checking.  I just manually run it
when I'm about to step away.  (Used to use xlock, from xlockmore, but
that was removed from Debian several releases ago.)