Re: Random hanging with stretch when laptop is connected to AC

Dear Debian Users,

On Thu 20 Jul 2017 at 10:43:15 +0200, Sebastiaan L. Zoutendijk wrote:
> Since I upgraded from jessie to stretch at the start of this month, I am experiencing random hangs when my laptop (Clevo W950JU barebone) is connected to AC. The screen freezes and if sound was playing it is repeated in a 2-second loop. The system does not recover from this and does not respond to any key, a short press of the power button, or SysRq commands. I have to shut it down with a long press of the power button, which has caused considerable filesystem damage over the past weeks. Nothing is written to the systemd journal at the time of the hang, not even at log level 7.

Since the last message  I have consulted a friend and we  came up with a
few more  options.  Booting the still-installed  jessie-backports kernel
did not solve the issue,  neither did downgrading systemd to the version
in jessie.  When I booted  with systemd.unit=multi-user.target I noticed
that this  issue does not  happen in a  non-graphical environment.  With
the  idea that  the issue  might  be  X-  or  graphics-related,  I first
downgraded xorg and its input and  video drivers to the jessie versions,
but that did not solve  it,  neither did additionally downgrading libdrm
and mesa.

Instead of continuing to downgrade random packages, I tried to restore a
back-up  of  my  /  filesystem  from  before  the  upgrade  to  stretch.
Unfortunately my  back-up program seems  to have forgotten  a few files,
which turned out to include some very essential system files.  I managed
to restore part  of the damage from  a chroot on a  live system,  but it
turned out to be beyond my capabilities to fix.

I have since  returned to my jessie installation  and managed to recover
/home by restoring from the back-up  and rescuing missing files from the
damaged filesystem.  I will undo the downgrades in a moment as they were
ineffective.

So I am back to square one.  For the time being I will keep running this
system with acpi=off.  I might try a fresh install later.

Yours faithfully,

Bas Zoutendijk

--
Sebastiaan L. Zoutendijk | slzoutendijk@gmail.com