Re: Free software

On Friday 21 July 2017 21:59:17 Ric Moore wrote:

> On 07/19/2017 09:05 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > The NVidia drivers have a huge problem if they are asked to co-exist
> > with any system that depends on real time IRQ response.
>
> Which are thankfully few and far between.

Admittedly a small niche in the market.  But we could be a piece of
making American great again if bot shoved out the buss door and
flattened in the mad exodus of technical excellence to the Chinese
mainland.

> You could probably just use
> a VESA driver and some S3 Virge video card to get the same performance
> and resolution that you need.

Not hardly, the vesa standard, and the cards that support it cannot do
more that 15 frames a second, at nowhere near the resolution we need,
which these days is 1920P @ 60 fps. You can buy $90 monitors at wallies
that can do that today.  I just did 90 days ago.

> But, anyone else who needs accelerated
> graphics will use the nvidia supplied driver.

Define accelerated Ric. That 1920P @ 60 fps is nominally twice as fast as
the human eye can discern. I can be quite happy at 30fps, interlaced,
and I do not have a machine that cannot do at least that, except an r-pi
3b, and I'm waiting to see if there are any show stoppers in the 4Gb of
ram you get with a rock64, which ships with an even faster cpu, and
claims no usb2 speed i/o bottleneck which is currently killing the pi on
my bigger lathe.  The pi's video is maybe 7 fps, slow enough to be a
bother, but it runs the machine with only an occasional stumble for 4 or
5 milliseconds.  It has not functionally damaged a workpiece yet. (knock
knock)

> Thank you Gene, you just
> proved the case that if you want to put a $300 video card in a
> head-lock and punch it repeatedly in the face, use the Nouveau driver.
> :) Ric

Or use a $29 nvidia card and the Nouveau driver, which card does the job
quite nicely for what we need. And save that $300 for insulin. Good
enough, don't need any better, and can't see the diff if it is better.
Thats called optimizing ones use of the resources.

Now if you put a 3500 hp turbojet engine in a 1978 Honda Civic, take it
to the flats in search of a new land speed record, and it folds up like
the coors can it is, don't say I didn't try to warn you.  But if you do,
let me know, and I'll come to Bonneville to watch. I haven't been there
since 1982 but I was early, and the salt still had 5" of water on it, so
nothing to see but the Utah road machinery, trying to blade the white
mud smooth.

And after that lesson in economics, I hope this finds you mobile and in
better health.  Take care my old friend.

Cheers Ric, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)