Android Studio and AVDs

Is anyone using Android Studio on stretch? Have you managed to run apps on an
Android Virtual Device (AVD)?

I've tried everything. The emulator seems to start, I get no errors, and the
emulated device appears on my screen (at least when using software
accelaration, otherwise it doesn't start at all). Then I've tried to build and
install the Android Packege (APK) from the command line with adb, but when I
run something like:

$ ./adb install my.apk

I always get the error: "Can't find service: package"
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁    Sent from my brain using neurons fueled by glucose.