user shutingdown/rebooting system w/wo sudo

Apart from what different wm/dm do, should a user without sudo
priviledges be able to stop or restart a system?
In most wm I have seen the user is able to do this without being
asked for root priviledges and I believe this is wrong and should
not be done.
As I see contradictory reading material on the issue from the
point of view of a single user personal system to an enterprise
system, why would any desktop come with this activated as
default and not be the other way around but with a simple option
for root to change/activate this ability.
I suspect that systemd with its countless strange service users
has complicated this issue, but is this practice secure?