Re: interesting: Linux on Android

Dan Ritter wrote:

> Not yet a Debian on Android, but:
>
> https://ollieparanoid.github.io/post/50-days-of-postmarketOS/
>
> summarizes the first 50 days of building Linux directly for
> several smartphones, with the intention of eventually getting
> them fully functional. Their work could lead to a Debian
> flavor/spin/whatever it's called now.
>
> Personally, I would be pretty happy to run Debian on a phone
> instead of the giant pile of Java sitting on an old kernel that
> currently constitutes Android.
>
> -dsr-

I've been and I am still pretty lucky to own and use one Nokia N9 and last
year got Intex AquaFish. The former is amazing device based on MeeGo, the
latter working just great with newer SailFish!

For now the only really usable substitute to iOS and Android out there.
Support Jolla and their community and pray they manage a break through. I
am just a fan of Jolla, not an employe or in whatever way connected to
them. I am following this through the years and it is like David against
Golliat. For now Golliat wins, but David is still not defeated completely.

If someone wants to help build a real FSOS for a phone, join and support
their community. Don't waste your time for nothing. What for would I use
debian on my phone exactly? What desktop environment is suitable on a
phone? Where are the drivers for the hardware?

I've seen such enthusiasts in the past ... what happened to all promised OSs
for smart phones? Dead.

If someone knows how to build OS for a smart phone this should be Nokia or
better ex-Nokia and they really deliver ... still things to improve, but
not just promises and shiny photos of useless stuff, hobby-hacking and
waste of time. What is exactly the benefit?

Do not understand me wrong, I wish those guys luck ... but I doubt it will
bring something.

regards