Re: [Solved] Re: Problem with colors in terminal

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 01:00:22PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> It's the other way around, .bashrc is only read if bash is _not_ a login
> shell.  Which is why many people source ~/.bashrc from ~/.bash_profile
> (or ~/.bash_login, or ~/.profile) to get the same behavior, no matter if
> the are running a login shell or not.

Correct.  Makes me suspect that one or more of the OP's terminal emulators
is using the "-ls" (or analogous) option to force the terminal to be
a login shell, the way some universities do.

The correct answer, as you said here, is to ensure that ~/.bash_profile
(or whatever is in use) sources ~/.bashrc.  This makes both login shells
and non-login shells behave correctly.

> That's something you definitely don't want to do, xterm-color is for
> _very_ ancient terminals.  Be prepared for misbehavior in curses
> programs.

If it's got colors at all, it's not _very_ ancient.