Re: metamail now misbehaving

On Sun 09 Jul 2017 at 14:12:07 (-0400), Steve Kleene wrote:
> I run Wheezy with fvwm (window manager).  I prefer to use the command line
> when possible, and for mail I have bsd-mailx with sendmail.  To read e-mails
> sent as HTML or base64, I use metamail (which was last distributed with Etch,
> I think), as follows:

[snip]

> I'd be interested in any ideas on how to get this working again.  At the same
> time, I expect that I will be advised give up on metamail.  I think
> heirloom-mailx might be closest to what I already have.  To install that,
> would I need to uninstall bsd-mailx first?  Can I assume that sendmail (and
> sendmail.cf, etc.) will be left undisturbed?  I gather that mailutils and
> mutt are other options.  I think mutt brings up its own window, and I'd
> prefer to just use the command line for all the plain text e-mails I get.  On
> the other hand, a better way to add attachments would be nice.  Currently I
> do a lot of manual labor with the headers for those.

I use mutt entirely in an xterm window. To read html emails, I have

    text/html; /usr/bin/lynx -force-html -localhost -stdin

in ~/.mutt/mailcap and get to them through the attachments menu,
ie, type v, select the html attachment and press return.
The only "downside" is that banks etc aren't made aware of my
reading their emails because I don't download the secret 1-pixel
images they typically include.

I compose emails in the same xterm with emacs by having

    set editor="emacs -nw -l $HOME/.emacs-email"

in ~/.mutt/muttrc, where my startup file sets textmode and linewrap.
Adding attachments is as simple as typing a and the name of the file
(with filename completion active) between closing the editor and
sending the email (or postponing it).

Cheers,
David.