Re: PulseAudio (Some users get sound, orthers do not)

On Sat, Jul 08, 2017 at 11:35:42PM -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> This morning, I went to my wife's login and ran:
>
> pulseaudio --kill
>
> rm ~/.config/pulse
>
> pulseaudio --start
>
> And that worked.
>
> When I tried to do the same thing under my daughter's login, however, I get
> the warnings about the cookie file and ~/.config/pulse is NOT recreated, so
> still no sound anywhere.  I have checked the permissions of my daughter's
> ~/.config/pulse directory and it is 644 with her user as owner and group.
> That matches ~/.config in my home directory and my wife's.
>

> So why does pulseaudio not create the files it needs, like it did for me and
> my wife?  Is there something else that I am missing? Any help will be
> appreciated.
>
> Marc

Moin Marc,

my /etc/passwd:
- - - - - - - -
pulse:x:113:121:PulseAudio daemon,,,:/var/run/pulse:/bin/false

my /etc/group:
audio:x:29:pulse,my_userid
pulse:x:121:my_userid
pulse-access:x:122:my_userid

my pulseaudio refresh (if no sound):
pulseaudio --kill && alsamixer -c0

make sure 'pulseaudio' is loaded only once
(check with 'ps ax | grep pulseaudio')

Wilko