Re: How to gain root control?

From: pipatron@gmail.com

On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 12:51 AM, Fungi4All <fungilife@protonmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, 2017-07-08 at 23:57 +0200, Kaj Persson wrote:

> But now I discovered an issue, I cannot manage my desktop. I have
> always at the previous installations, and they are quite many now, been
> advised to, for security reason, leave the root password unset, which causes
> the root account go passive, and for all tasks where I need root
> authority I  go via su/sudo.

It is a bad idea despite of what security gurus may advise.  You may lose your system
and never get it back.

It's an even worse idea to listen to people on the internet who ignore "security gurus" based on rumours. You can easily restore or change the root password if it's lost or unset.

The last few times I remember here people saying they were running a single sudo user and no-root they
had change their mind about this choice for the hustle of doing what  you say it is done "easily".
I don't recall you providing them with a procedure of how to do it, so why don't you do it now?

You are not allowed to use the term "it depends" in your explanation :)