Problem after texlive update

After a recent upgrade of texlive to 2017.20170629-1 on Debian I am
experiencing a problem compiling a longstanding document and I can
replicate the problem with the following code:

\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec} % Gebruik met xelatex
\usepackage{graphicx} % Gebruik met xelatex
\usepackage[hyperindex=true,colorlinks=true,bookmarks]{hyperref}
\usepackage{colortbl}
\setmainfont[Ligatures=TeX,Mapping=tex-text]{Linux Libertine O}
\begin{document}

\includegraphics{fruits.jpg}

\end{document}

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-engine: xetex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% End:

results in

ERROR: Undefined control sequence.

--- TeX said ---
\Ginclude@bmp #1->\Gin@log
                           {<#1>}\bgroup \def \@tempa {!}\special
{pdf:image...l.11 \includegraphics{fruits.jpg}

--- HELP ---
TeX encountered an unknown command name. You probably misspelled the
name. If this message occurs when a LaTeX command is being processed,
the command is probably in the wrong place---for example, the error
can be produced by an \item command that's not inside a list-making
environment. The error can also be caused by a missing \documentclass
command.

You can replace "fruit.jpg" with any jpg to replicate the problem.

Any idea what is causing this?

Regards
Johann

--
Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
my lips will praise you.  (Psalm 63:3)