Re: [Stretch] apt-get has no updates?

On 05-07-17, RavenLX wrote:

> > > How do I go about upgrading then? I don't know of how to do it any other way
> > > than via apt-get. Also I don't want to have it email me anything. I usually
> > > go to the command line, do a series of commands and upgrade the system. I
> > > would like to continue to do things that way. I do this once a week (usually
> > > Thurs. but now I'm switching to Fridays).
> > >

> > Well, as you could see from your log, unattended-upgrades did it job and
> > upgraded security packages. If you want to keep those auto
> > updates/upgrades for security packages ( not that you will get much more
> > updates than those now that stretch is stable ), you do not have to do
> > anything. Security updates will be done automatically.
>
> I saw another security update and went and checked to see what version I had
> installed. It looks like it did in fact automatically install the update.
>
> While it might be hard to get used to at first, I think I'll leave it as-is
> since this would ensure that my system is automatically up to date on
> security issues.
>
> Maybe it's a good thing after all and time for me to make a little change in
> my routine? :)
>
> Would this affect other updates (ie. bug-fix) of packages or is this only
> for the security repo? Should I still do the apt-get routine weekly just in
> case? I would surmise that we probably won't get any 'normal' but fix
> updates for a long time since Stretch was just released?

As explained before, settings for unattended-upgrades are in the
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades. You can set it to download
and install just security updates, which is default. Or, you can set it
to download and install all updates, if you uncomment certain lines, or
add new ones. Think that you can also set it from apper, or
plasma-discover, whatever kde uses these days. Or
software-properties-kde, if it is similar to software-properties-gtk.