Re: Problems with apt in a clean stretch install.

On 05-07-17, Wayne Hartell wrote:

> Fungi4All wrote:
> > And this for the OP:
> > 1  But if there is such a basic problem with installation what is
> > so different that the rest of the new stretch installers did not
> > face?
> >

> That's a good question. I'm not 100% sure what the problem with the
> installer is in your minds? Do you mean whatever causes the problem that
> occurs when /etc/apt/trusted.gpg is *present*?
>
> > 2  What filesystem did you use while partitioning?

I doubt that filesystem has anything to do with your experience.

> Being a novice I didn't make any changes from the defaults (did the guided
> partitioning with everything in one** partition), except on one laptop,
> where I used LVM/encryption, but with no partitioning differences other than
> those created by using LVM.
>
> **I note that even though the installer says "one" partition, it still seems
> to create a separate swap partition (I read, I think that on some distros
> the swap partition is now optional; it can be a file instead). So the file
> system is (for 3/4 of the systems):
> /dev/sda1 bootable Ext4 341GB
> /dev/sda2 extended 2.1GB
> /dev/sda5 swap 2.1GB
>
> > 3  Is there any kind of raid?

Even if you do, do not see how it is relevant for this case.

> No raid on any of the systems.
>
> > 4  Is autoupdate/unattended-update enabled?  And is there a log of it?
>
> Only if it was enabled by default. "System Upgrade" in Synaptic is set to
> "Smart Upgrade" if that's what you are talking about. I don't know what this
> is and after yesterday haven't got enough time to research what this is and
> where/how to find logs for now. Let me know if a proper answer to this
> question is important,  and I will dig into it further.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Wayne.

For start, it is not unattended-update, it is unattended-upgrades
package. It also does not have anything to do with your problem. In
stretch, it comes in by default on at least gnome and kde tasks. And, by
default, it is set to get your security upgrades and install them for
you. To check if it is installed:

dpkg -s unattended-upgrades

To check if it is enabled:

cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades

If output is:

APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "1";
APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "1";

then it is enabled. If you want to disable it change those "1" to "0".
You can do it with your favorite editor or in one line:

sudo sed -i 's/1/0/g' /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades

If you want to use unattended-upgrades, would suggest checking its
config file that is here:

/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades

and debian wiki entry here:

https://wiki.debian.org/UnattendedUpgrades

As a side note, in gnome you can enable/disable auto updates in gnome
software & updates ( software-properties-gtk ) and in kde apper or
whatever kde uses these days.