Re: Switching from Debian i386 to AMD64

On 2017-07-04 17:33 +0200, Dejan Jocic wrote:

> On 04-07-17, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> I have been running Debian i386 since Squeeze. At that time it was required
>> as I was considering supporting some donated 32 bit machines at church. I
>> don't recall what processor was in my personal machine at that time. I've
>> never had cause to investigate the processors in my current laptops and
>> desktop machines. They all happily run i386.
>>
>> Is there a utility that will report my hardware configuration/capability?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Several. To see your cpu, type lscpu. Architecture is first in output.

That's not correct, or at least not useful.  The architecture is what
uname(2) reports, and if the system is currently running a 32-bit
kernel, it will be "i686" no matter if the processor is 64-bit capable.

The information about the latter is in the "Flags:" field of the lscpu
output.  If it contains the "lm" (for "long mode[1]") flag, you have an
x86_64 processor.

Cheers,
       Sven

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_mode