Problems with apt in a clean stretch install.

Hi all,

I’m a Linux novice and have run into a problem with a clean Stretch install and apt.

I started tinkering with Debian late in the game with Wheezy and have used Jessie pretty much without problem. After setting up some new Stretch systems (amd64) I am running into issues when using apt.

The first set of errors I get from apt when trying to run “update” are:

W: http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian/dists/stretch-updates/InRelease: The key(s) in the keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg are ignored as the file is not readable by user ‘_apt’ executing apt-key.

W: http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/dists/stretch/Release.gpg: The key(s) in the keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg are ignored as the file is not readable by user ‘_apt’ executing apt-key.

W: http://security.debian.org/debian-security/dists/stretch/updates/InRelease: The key(s) in the keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg are ignored as the file is not readable by user ‘_apt’ executing apt-key.

I managed to solve<?> this error after checking that the permissions on /etc/apt/trusted.gpg were 0600 and edited them to be 0644. (Is this the correct default permission for the file trusted.gpg?)

After that, when I run apt-get update again, I get a list of errors about errors occurring due to signature verification.

e.g., “The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian stretch-updates InRelease: The following signatures couldn’t be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY <key>

The above error is an abbreviated hand typed reproduction; not the actual output. I can provide the full list of errors if it helps.

In another thread I read something about ensuring that the “debian-archive-keyring” is installed, and it is, version 2017.5.

I just checked on second clean stretch install and it’s the same situation; same exact problems.

I am wondering what I might be doing wrong?

Regards,

Wayne.