Re: stretch, vim, cut and paste broken (and fix)

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 10:36:52AM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> - move over to some other text input field and
>   paste with button 3

You mean button 2.

> except, vim stopped allowing the paste.
>
> Here's the change:
>
> /usr/share/vim/vim80/defaults.vim

Generally speaking, yeah, that OS level defaults file can cause problems.
Lots of changes have occurred there.  The good news is that it's ignored
if you have your own ~/.vimrc file.

So, just create a ~/.vimrc file with something in it, and you should be
all set.

> That's nice. It doesn't actually work for the X cut and paste
> mechanism that I rely on, and it turns out that adding this
> to my .vimrc:
>
> set mouse=off
>
> or
>
> set mouse=""
>
> does not work.
>
> Instead you need to go to that defaults file and comment out
> the offending stanza. Use " as your beginning of line comment
> character.

This has not been my experience at all.  When I have a ~/.vimrc file,
vim doesn't read the system level default file, and copy/pasting is
working normally for me.

If I move my ~/.vimrc file aside, then I get colorized file contents,
and pasting where the mouse cursor is instead of where the terminal's
cursor is... all kinds of rubbish that I would never, ever want.