Re: kde4 can't find file usr/share/kde4/apps/kdm/themes/lines

On 29 June 2017 at 16:40, Cindy-Sue Causey <butterflybytes@gmail.com> wrote:
On 6/29/17, Intense Red <intnsred@golgotha.net> wrote:

>    The changes between KDE in Jessie and KDE in Stretch are substantial,
> including killing off kdm and replacing it with sddm.
>
>    On multiple machines I've had the upgrade go pretty rocky, not only at
> the dm level but on the desktop itself.

Based on what Intense Red stated along with this being about "themes",
my first thought is... what about configuration files within the
user's /home files (~/)?

My next thought was that I could see myself trying to track down the
file hierarchy changes in the switch from kdm to sddm. Maybe there's a
similar path that could be manipulated to suit personal desires.

Hello Cindy,

First, thank you for such broad chat. Sometimes when we don't know exactly the problem it is good to just hear from someone else to just get ideas.

My first thought was just try to find the freaking file somewhere in my hierarchy and, I don't know, fix it, remove write permissions, hard link, anything, just to be sure it is always there. But the file is not to be found anyware.

Anyhow...

I wrote more after that, but I've deleted it. I just plugged that
"usr/share" path into an Internet search while asking "what package
contains".

Top of the list returned was using the word "purge" with respect to
kdm. If this was happening to me, I'm getting the warm fuzzies about
that word "purge" in this case. That would be because that sounds like
a *fast* way to attempt to correct this.

I think "purge" is an appropriate word to add to my first thought
about the personal configurations. I just don't know the what and
where with respect to being safe to purge while playing around with
it. Purging would let a user start over and catch up to speed with how
Intense Red's mention of a changeover to sddm now handles things.

This is what I was talking about. The fact that KDE changed to SDDM was vague in my mind.

Now that you mentioned it, I just checked to realize that after the upgrade I was still using KDM.

I've changed to SDDM and the first boot went fine.

Let's hope this is a definitive solution.

Using a word like "purge"? ALWAYS after a *BACKUP* is made, of
course........ Of course. *grin*

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *

I don't really dig workarounds. If I make one myself, it keeps in my mind forever, and I always try to find a solution that meets "the unix way" sooner or later.

But well... whatever floats your boat, as they say...

See y'a.

Bèco.

--
Dr Beco
A.I. researcher

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant" -- Alan Greenspan

Creation date: pgp.mit.edu ID as of 2014-11-09