Re: [WARNING] Intel Skylake/Kaby Lake processors: broken hyper-threading

On 27/06/17 02:47, John Elliot V wrote:
> I disabled hyper-threading in my BIOS in response to this advisory (I
> have an i7-7700K). Now I get weird graphical artifacts in drop-down
> lists in KDE (they flash between black and white background) and sound
> has stopped working on my system. Can anyone guess why that might be
> happening? I might try re-enabling hyper-threading to see if things go
> back to normal...

Hmm. I re-enabled hyper-threading (to test) and sound didn't come back.
So I disabled hyper-threading again.

Before I disabled hyper-threading the first time I tried updating my
BIOS, and in order to do that my BIOS reconfigured itself to enable some
networking features so it could update the BIOS over the Internet.
Turned out my BIOS was already at the latest version (details are here [1]).

I'm not sure how to diagnose a "no sound" issue. I've checked all the
volume controls I know about, and nothing is mute and/or low volume.
Sound was working this morning, and now, after I changed my
hyper-threading settings, it's not.

Dunno what happened or why. Totally stumped.

Regards,
John Elliot V

[1] https://www.progclub.org/pipermail/programming/2017-June/002892.html

--