light-locker (was Stretch upgrade from Jessie -- several issues)

Ralph Katz wrote:

> Yes!  apt history shows light-locker was installed by the dist-upgrade.
>  I've just purged xscreensaver and can confirm that the time-out errors
> in syslog occur on resume from screen blanking.

Did you also kill the xscreensaver daemon?  You might have been getting
odd behavior due to xscreensaver and light-locker/lightdm fighting over
the display.

I don't know enough about X to know whether those timeout errors are
important.  When I've used light-locker, the display would typically
blank briefly before showing the lightdm screen.  (That's how
light-locker works: it starts a lightdm instance, which you "log in" to
in order to unlock the session.)

> Other than pushing out the screen lock time which I've done in xfce
> settings, or disabling the lock, what do you suggest?  light-locker is a
> "depends" of task-xfce-desktop so not removable.

If light-locker running by itself still isn't behaving properly, you
could disable the daemon via the Xfce session control panel.  Untick the
box in the list of startup applications, and make sure it's not listed
in the list of currently running applications.

That would leave you without a screen lock, but I suppose you could
reinstall xscreensaver.

mike