Re: konsole blinking screen with irssi when ssh'd to NetBSD

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 01:51:01PM -0500, Glenn Holmer wrote:
I've got a freeshell.org account, and they're running NetBSD. When I SSH
into that account, the terminal looks fine, but when I start irssi, the
entire screen blinks on and off about once a second. This is from my
Debian Stretch box running KDE, with konsole as terminal and bash as shell.

I've got another machine here that runs GNOME (under Fedora); I tried
the same thing using gnome-terminal and the screen didn't blink when I
started irssi.

Can anyone offer some suggestions to solve this?

It might be as simple as a bad terminal description. What is $TERM set
to? Try setting it to something different (TERM=xterm irssi -or-
TERM=vt100 irssi) and see if that fixes things.

Ideally, TERM should indicate what terminal (or terminal emulator)
you're using. But the TERM variable works with the local system's
terminfo database. That says things like "For italic text, send this
code.", "This terminal cannot clear individual characters, only whole
lines" etc. If the database is broken somehow, or doesn't know exactly
how to manage your terminal, then it may be sending the wrong sequences.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

For more information, please reread.