Re: One problem identified - was [Re: ARandR problems: Bug or opderator?]

On 20/06/17 21:21, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 06/20/2017 02:06 PM, JPlews wrote:
On 20/06/17 13:14, Richard Owlett wrote:
I had understood ARandR would use it automatically. It evidently doesn't.

This is my experience too, including some of the randomness, after
reboots the DE is setting things, I find Gnome really weak in this area.

The window oddness you describe reminds me of when displays are not in
the natural order from the hardware, so your at a disadvantage if the
primary display is not leftmost in many cases.

IMO use arandr-indicator, or put a script onto a global shortcut, it is
somewhat fiddly but you can use xdotool for a few fix-ups in the screen
layouts if you want a particular window moving to somewhere and it
doesn't consistently do it itself, but do consider grepping xrandr
output to not move things unless the extra display is actually
connected. pacmd for audio can be nice here too.

AFAIK, but its been a few years, there's no nice method to spawn a
script on monitor connections, but something like a mouse or usb hub can
(again checking for connected displays first)

Hope that helps

JP

To clarify:
My OS is Stretch
My DE is MATE
Although I'm using a laptop, it is my primary machine.
Therefore the VGA monitor is *ALWAYS* connected.

Even if physically connected there could be a race somewhere that's leading to something starting before the hardware is ready or the monitor is fully woken.

Currently I'm using Antergos with Gnome and LightDM, it only activates one monitor to log in, I don't know how Debian does it (that system only have 1 display), but Ubuntu certainly activated all displays at this stage.

These options in LightDM seem interesting for this:

# display-setup-script = Script to run when starting a greeter session (runs as root) # greeter-setup-script = Script to run when starting a greeter (runs as root) # session-setup-script = Script to run when starting a user session (runs as root)

But then there is suspend to consider, which is part of the reason to suggest a manual fixup.

In terms of passive fixes your laptop I see has a DisplayPort, maybe that's worth a try with an adapter, the one I got for 5 quid seems perfectly fine.