Re: gstreamer1.0-libav - necessary for browsers to play videos?

On Sun 18 Jun 2017 at 13:47:32 -0400, Jape Person wrote:

> On 06/18/2017 07:54 AM, Brian wrote:
> >
> >My main Jessie machine does not install recommended packages; it
> >plays youtube clips within firefox-esr.
>
> So you don't even install recommends normally? I would have supposed (from
> reading various descriptions of recommends) that this would result in
> significant functional compromise in most packages. Not usually so?

An occasional problem is not unknown but it can usually be sorted.
I do not do it on all machines and certainly would not advise others
to follow my example unless it is necessary (1G of flash memory, for
example!) Using recommended packages should be the norm.

In the initial mail Jape Person also wrote this:

> >>Following re-installation of gstreamer1.0-libav all browsers were
> >>once again able to play videos.
> >>
> >>I would have thought that aptitude why might have given me a hint
> >>about the browsers requiring this package. I've looked to be sure
> >>the browsers do, indeed, have all of their depends and recommends
> >>installed, and they do. (I do not install suggests as a rule, and I
> >>don't use any kind of proprietary codecs or player software. So I
> >>am dependent upon the DFSG-compliant software available in the
> >>Debian repositories to play any video or audio I'm going to use on
> >>these systems.)
> >>
> >>This is, obviously, not a very serious problem, but it's an
> >>interesting one that might bite others as unwary as I. Maybe it's
> >>implicated somehow in some of the odd reports we see from
> >>time-to-time of someone who can't get a browser to play videos.
> >>
> >>Worthy of a bug report?

Not from my experiences. You are using Stretch. The situation is that
firefox-esr does not recommend gstreamer1.0-libav as it does on Jessie.
Nothing else uses it, so deborphan lists it for removal. I agree with
you up 'til there.

The other issue is no sound or video played by a browser. Youtube is
still ok for me with firefox on stretch (gstreamer1.0-libav installed
or not).

--
Brian.