Re: Peculiar problem with root login

[...]

Tom D wrote:

> This will prevent root login using a password. Only other methods, such
> as RSA authentication are to be permitted.

That turned out to be exactly the problem.

Somewhere amongst my fiddling, weeks ago now. I must have uncommented
that or something like.

[...]

>From Harry's settings:

>> PermitRootLogin yes

> This may or may not be effective owing the the above setting of
> "PermitRootLogin without-password" depending on how sshd treats
> duplicate setting. My (jessie) man page does not say whether the first
> or last setting will be effective.

I guess we may assume it goes by the first since

'PermitRootLogin yes'

was the very last line of my config.

[...]

David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> writes:

[...]

>> ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
>> PasswordAuthentication yes
>
> I use:
>
> PasswordAuthentication no
>

> This requires all users to have their remote user public keys entered
> into their authorized_keys files to log in from those remote hosts.
>

>> X11Forwarding yes
>> X11DisplayOffset 10
>> PrintMotd no
>> PrintLastLog yes
>> TCPKeepAlive yes
>> AcceptEnv LANG LC_*
>> Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server
>> UsePAM yes
>> PermitRootLogin yes
>
> This conflicts with the above setting (which is what I use):
>
> PermitRootLogin without-password

Yup, that was the problem

Thank you both for the excellent input.. (snipped in this response but
kept on hand for future reference..)