Re: Laptop randomly reboots

On 05/12/2017 03:38 PM, Sam Smith wrote:
On 01/20/2017 08:04 PM, Sam Smith wrote:
I'll try to keep this short. I bought a used Lenovo T520 back in May. It
had the motherboard with nvidia GPU. Because it sucks power and doesn't
really have good suspend/resume support, I bought a used mother board
off of ebay that only had intel integrated graphics and I swapped it
out. All was well and I had installed in it 8gb +4gb of ram.

It ran like that for about 8 weeks before I bought an 8gb stick and
stuck that in, so then I had 8gb + 8gb of ram. After about 6 weeks of
running like, it randomly rebooted overnight. I shrugged it off and
thought maybe the power went out or something (even though it had a
battery in it). But then about 2 weeks later it did it again..and then
two weeks after that. So I pulled out the new 8gb stick I had put in and
let it run with just one 8gb stick. It ran like that for about 10 weeks
without a problem. I put the old 4gb stick in just for fun, bringing it
back to the original 8gb + 4gb configuration. But about 2 weeks later it
rebooted again. At that point I bought a matched 16gb kit (8gb + 8gb)
from new egg that seemed to come recommended from google searching for
compatible ram for this model. But just a couple of days ago (about 3
weeks after installing it), it rebooted by itself.

I am kind of at a loss here now. I can buy another motherboard and swap
it out again, but that takes a few hours and I don't feel like doing it.
The cooling and thermal stuff is all good on the laptop,I've ran prime95
and video encoding for hours and it is fine (temps stay below 80* at
least, normal usage is 40-55*). I've also ran memtest for a few hours.

What I find weird is that the machine suddenly reboots. At least a few
years ago, ram issues would just lead to a kernel panic screen. But with
this, the machine is just like someone pulled the plug and rebooted it.
I started to wonder if there is some built in watchdog somewhere that
will reboot the machine if it hangs, but I can't tell? Other than that,
if this is the kernel that is rebooting the machine, is there any way I
can get it to dump some info somewhere before it fully reboots? Before I
go through the pain of swapping the board again, I'd just like to really
know that this is a hardware issue and not the kernel detecting
something and just choosing to reboot...

Thanks for any info,

Sam

Just an update. My uptime is now 80 days and I haven't had any random
reboots. The only thing I did was pull in the latest apt-get updates
(which took me from Jessie 6.6 to 6.7 I think, but also installed a
newer xorg-intel driver from backports). I also read somewhere that
there were some "issues" with having the hardware virtualization
extensions enabled in BIOS (can't remember what the issues were) so I
disabled those after running the apt-get upgrade and rebooting.

Never gone this long without a reboot so I guess perhaps I'm good. But
if this was indeed a software caused reboot, I'd like to know what
setting I need to change so that debian would just hang at a kernel
panic screen (or something similar) instead of just an instant dump and
reboot leaving me thinking that it is hardware issues (which it may
still be....)

Regards,
Samuel Smith

Guess I spoke too soon. About 10 days after I posted the above, the laptop randomly rebooted. :sigh: