Re: Re: Please help me resize my ext4 file system to size > 16TB

> Hi,
>
>   I have kernel 3.13 and e2fsprog 1.42.9 (as part of mybuntu 14.04.5 LTS).
> With this, is it possible to resize2fs my ext4 RAID6 /dev/md0 to 24TB (ie
> >16TB)? If so, please help me get there. If not, please recommend the
> upgrades needed to the setup before this can be done. So, far, my google
> says I need to do "tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/md0" which I
> already did and I still get the dreaded message "resize2fs: New size too
> large to be expressed in 32 bits."
>
> There are mentions of a 64bit option for the ext4 file system. I can see how
> this relates to the error message from resize2fs, but I do not know what I
> should do to get that update done for my /dev/md0. Also all of the message
> that I come across relating to 64bit option, only talk about  how to
> *create* a brand new file system with 64bit. None of them tell me how to
> convert existing one. In fact, many of them scare me saying that it will be
> unsupported in older kernels. I am not really sure if my kernel is too old
> or not. Also, they talk about a switch -b for resize2fs that is not
> supported in the version installed currently on my system/release.
>
> Pleas help me figure out the correct sequence of steps. What packages need
> update, if current kernel/release is ok? Or, do I need to upgrade to a newer
> release before this is possible?
>
> Thanks
> Ramesh

I think you ran into this problem:
http://blog.ronnyegner-consulting.de/2011/08/18/ext4-and-the-16-tb-limit-now-solved/

I know of no way to get resize2fs to work with partitions larger than 16 TB,
however in the blog post it's explained how to make mke2fs work with such
sizes by editing /etc/mke2fs.conf. Not sure if this is an option for you
though.

I have no way of backing up 16TB to use mke2fs. There is a solution ( https://askubuntu.com/questions/779754/how-do-i-resize-an-ext4-partition-beyond-the-16tb-limit ), but needs updates that I am not ready to do yet. So, I am checking if there is something that I missed that will allow me to resize without having to upgrade release/kernel/e2fsprogs and all of its friends.

Ramesh