Re: ifconfig network resolution (Re: pointers to material for using netbook's wireless as access point)

Sorry my typing is so lame.

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
> Experimenting from the command line, I find myself puzzled about the
> arguments for ifconfig.
>
> Reading the manual, it would appear that the arguments for ifconfig
> should be something like this:
>
>     ifconfig eth0 netmask 255.255.255.224 netmask 255.255.255.224
> broadcast 10.19.23.223 10.19.23.94

   sudo ifconfig eth0 netmask 255.255.255.224 broadcast 10.19.23.223
10.19.23.194

> But the command returns with
>
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: Can't allocate this address.
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Can't allocate this address.
>
> If I repeat the command, it gives no errors, but the netmask and
> broadcast address end up full class A (255.0.0.0 and 10.255.255.255).

But if I repeat it often enough (with legitimate parameters), it seems to
decide to believe me, and sets the nic to the requested netmask and
broadcast address.

Once or twice may have been bad parameters, but I have just hit the
up arrow and it goes ahead and sets the parameters to what I said on
the second try.

--
Joel Rees

One of these days I'll get someone to pay me
to design a language that combines the best of Forth and C.
Then I'll be able to leap wide instruction sets with a single #ifdef,
run faster than a speeding infinite loop with a #define,
and stop all integer size bugs with my bare cast.

More of my delusions:
http://reiisi.blogspot.com/2017/05/do-not-pay-modern-danegeld-ransomware.html
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html