Re: Trying to understand man page for dd

On 05/28/2017 07:04 AM, The Wanderer wrote:
On 2017-05-28 at 07:58, Richard Owlett wrote:

It says in part:

Sending a USR1 signal to a running 'dd' process makes it print I/O
statistics to standard error and then resume copying.

    $ dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null& pid=$!

    $ kill -USR1 $pid; sleep 1; kill $pid

I think it is trying to tell me what I need to know.
But there is too much going on there,
Guidance please.
TIA

Can you clarify what it is that you don't understand, or what it is
that you need to know?

Because the part you quoted (which I do recognize, and have made use
of myself in the past) seems perfectly straightforward and
understandable to me, and you haven't provided any context to
indicate what your problem is or what it is that you don't understand.

I suppose what I want is a translation of those two lines of script.
The man page just tosses it at me cold.
I didn't say what I was thinking because it would be pure noise.
Than man page was trying to convey something.
It did not.