Re: How to set ISO date/time with en_US.utf8 as system default?

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 11:30:15AM -0400, gwmfms6@openmailbox.org wrote:
> This wiki is apparently out of date because it does not work:
> https://wiki.debian.org/Locale#First_day_of_week

I don't advise putting ANYTHING at all in /etc/default/locale.  That
would affect all logins by all users from all computers.  But supposing
either (1) that's actually what you want, or (2) you're going to set
your variables in your personal login configuration instead....

> I have the system default set to en_US.utf8. But I need sensical dates
> and times (and en_US.utf8 uses nonsensical date & time format).
>
> How can I set my Debian 8 stable to use en_DK.utf8 for LC_TIME and
> LC_MEASUREMENT variables while keeping en_US.utf8 the system default for
> everything else?

1) Make sure both locales have actually been generated, via

   dpkg-reconfigure locales

2) Verify they they are both available:

   titan:~$ locale -a
   C.UTF-8
   en_DK.utf8
   en_US.utf8
   POSIX

3) Set the variables:

   titan:~$ export LANG=en_US.utf8 LC_TIME=en_DK.utf8 LC_MEASUREMENT=en_DK.utf8

   (If you want this to be permanent, figure out what dot files to put
   them in.  That's the hardest part of all.)

4) Test:

   titan:~$ ncal
       May 2017
   Mo  1  8 15 22 29