Re: Desktop Background Bites the Dust

On 5/19/17, Michael Milliman <michael.e.milliman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have no clue what happened, but the desktop background picture has
> ceased to be displayed. I'm not even sure where to look to troubleshoot
> the problem.  The salient information is: OS is fully updated Testing,
> MATE desktop environment.  I have attempted to re-set the desktop
> background via both system settings and via right-click->set desktop
> background on the desktop to no effect.  Thinking that probably the
> issue was associated with my normal login (the only one on the system),
> I created a new user from root terminal and logged in with newly created
> skeleton home folder; the problem persisted with the new user, so it is
> a system-wide issue.  Past that, I have no clue.  Any ideas/help will be
> greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

I'm in Stretch Testing using Xfce4. Mine got zapped a while back. I
hadn't stopped to nose around about it until just yesterday. This
might not work for your problem, but I found mine are now at
/usr/share/images/desktop-base/. It's possible system images have
always been there, but for this very second, that appeared to be the
only place my personal images would also work.

Mine used to be under my /home/[user]/Pictures (~/Pictures) directory.
If I try to change my images via either "Settings > Desktop" or right
click on the desktop, that directory and many others are now faded
out/washed out/blanked out in that way our systems do so that
something is not clickable.

There must be something more to it. Or not? Maybe there's a quick
toggle somewhere? Or not.

For a single user with control over their own computer, it's no big
deal to take that few extra seconds to throw something in that
directory using [root] privileges. For an office full of users who
might want to personalize their respective desktops with family photos
or ski trip memories, it becomes a royal pain.

As an almost afterthought, there's always the possibility that what's
happening in my case is about installing and removing various packages
over time. Or not, grin.

This was another of those that rated a priority level of "Annoying"
for me. It wasn't critical to the functioning of my computer, and I
figure that feature may have been redesigned by... conscious design.
:)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey