Error on install: Repository "couldn't be accessed"

Hi,

I received this message when installing from the Debian 8.8 netinstall ISO (debian-8.8.0-amd64-netinst.iso)

Initial error was for ftp.uk.debian.org. I tried several others (including ftp.fr.debian.org and  mirror.bytemark.co.uk) with similar errors.

Continued with the install, which appeared to go OK otherwise. Found that two lines were commented out in sources.list, post install:

# jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'

# Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:

#deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main

# Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:

#deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main

Uncommented these, and received the following errors on running apt-get update:

Hit http://ftp.uk.debian.org jessie/main Translation-en

Err http://ftp.uk.debian.org jessie-updates/main Translation-en

Err http://ftp.uk.debian.org jessie-updates/main Translation-en

Err http://ftp.uk.debian.org jessie-updates/main Translation-en

  404  Not Found [IP: 78.129.164.123 80]

Fetched 168 kB in 6min 3s (463 B/s)

W: Failed to fetch http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie-updates/main/i18n/Translation-en  404  Not Found [IP: 78.129.164.123 80]

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

  • Is this a known issue?
  • Should I have any concerns about stability / missing files follow this?

Thanks,

Rob

175 YEARS OF EXCELLENCE

This email and any files transmitted with it were intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this email in error please let the sender know by return.

Please think before you print.