Re: Useable guide to first invocation of mariadb - where?

On 05/08/2017 12:43 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
On 05/08/2017 11:06 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:

I then did
  apt-get install mariadb-client mariadb-server

As user I (reasonably) see:
richard@stretch-2nd:~$ mariadb
ERROR 1698 (28000): Access denied for user 'richard'@'localhost'

As root I see:
root@stretch-2nd:/home/richard# mariadb
Welcome to the MariaDB monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MariaDB connection id is 10
Server version: 10.1.22-MariaDB- Debian 9.0

I have no experience with this database, but you may wish to check
/etc/group and see if there is a mariadb group to add your user to.
When trouble shooting with a shotgun, you're bound to get lucky. Ric

But there should be fewer side effects with a targeted approach ;}
There is no "mariadb group", but there is a "mysql group" {reasonable as mariadb is supposed to be a drop-in replacement for mysql}.

I'll not attempt a brute force "solution" by editing that file. Too much unknown/unknowable collateral damage possible.

The pages Joe pointed me to gives the lay of the land. If I had seen them before my first attempt months ago, I probably not be in current situation. They don't directly give troubleshooting guidance, it was not the intended purpose.