Re: Which driver for Nvidia card on jessie

On 2017-05-08 10:47 +0200, Urs Thuermann wrote:

> After a hardware change my workstation with X11/XFCE has a new Nvidia
> graphics card and the nouveau driver doesn't seem to work with new
> card.  Before the hardware change I used xserver-xorg-video-nouveau.
>
> The new Nvidia card is listed by lspci as
>
> 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1430 (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Apparently this is a Quadro M2000, a Maxwell[1] card.  Is that correct?

> I haven't found much info on which driver to use with this card.  Is
> the nouveau driver able to work with it?

Depends on your distribution.  On stretch, the free drivers should work
(modulo bugs), although you'd be using the modesetting 2D driver rather
than xserver-xorg-video-nouveau.  The xserver-xorg-video-nouveau version
in experimental supports more recent cards.  In any case, be sure to
install firmware-misc-nonfree as well, it is required for acceleration
support.

In Jessie, you would need to install several packages from
jessie-backports: a 4.9 kernel for basic support, libgl1-mesa-dri and
firmware-misc-nonfree if you want acceleration.

> Or do I have to use the Nvidia binary only driver?

If you decide to use that driver, on Jessie you need the jessie-backports
version as well.

Cheers,
       Sven

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_%28microarchitecture%29#Second_generation_Maxwell_.28GM20x.29