Re: Live Fille System Backup

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh writes:
> On Fri, 05 May 2017, Sergei G wrote:
> > I am not convinced that rsync can handle all device type files, all types
> > of links and other attributes I don't even know about.  I am not convinced
> > that anyone actually restored file system using rsync.  Does it really work?
>
> Yes, it does.  Been there, done that.  But it takes a lot of command
> line options, just a plain "rsync source/ dest/" usually won't be
> enough.
>
> The caveats about quiescing anything that might modify data while rsync
> is running do apply.

Also be advised if "dest/" is a FAT formatted SD card, there is a file
size limit of 4GB, (and the -aAXv argument to rsync(1) may not be
viable to restore the permission/ACL of files/directories.)

If "dest/" is archival, (i.e., must be recoverable for a long period
of time,) saving the MD5/SHA* hash values of files in "source/" is
advisable for verification that a file is not corrupt sometime in the
future.

    John

--

John Conover, conover@rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/