Re: converting my local site to be https only access

On Wednesday 03 May 2017 05:20:51 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Tue, May 02, 2017 at 05:35:55PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I've been looking at nginx myself, and wondering if it was any
> > easier to setup. Apache2 can be a mutant bear with 6 sore paws.
>
> This is a nice description ;-)
>
> Remember that in its very early infancy, "Apache" was a pun on "a
> patchy server", because it started its life as a set of patches on top
> of NCSA httpd.

Interesting bit of history, that.

> XML was all the rage at that time and supposed to reconciliate
> executive world (IBM's SGML) with the hippy early Internet (HTML). The
> result of such marriages tends to be an abominable monster (tell that
> to me, who at $DAYJOB have to watch "Agile Bureaucracy" unfurling in
> front of me... I'm too old for that shit).

At 82 & long retired, so am I.  But I'm still carving xml right now,
prettying up the working face of linuxcnc.

> Combine that with the raging early success of Apache (which was,
> without doubt, very much deserved, for all the outstanding people
> working there. Remember the competition? Shudder!). That success
> brings on what I call the "no backtracking" curse: if you have so many
> users relying on you, you are not supposed to backtrack on any design
> decision, be it as shitty as it might. And you do take shitty design
> decisions when you're moving fast.

Absolutely. But generally, my audience was one tv station, so I had the
agility to fix it once I saw that it wasn't working that well. But it
wasn't drudgery to me, I was having immense fun proving it didn't take
$20,000 to do THAT job, I was doing it with a far better user interface,
and 4x faster than the 20 kilobuck kit from the Grass Valley Group
folks. And sold it to the tv station as a trs-80 color computer 2, with
2 disk drives, for $250. Running a program I wrote in basic09. Gotta
love it, Tomas.

> cheers
> -- tomás

Cheers, Gene Heskett