underscore in xterm sometimes invisible

When I completely log out and log back in, the underscore character will be invisible in xterm. If I do "xrdb .Xresources", subsequent xterms created will show underscores.

Investigating further, I tried starting with no .Xresources file. This gave me a much-too-small xterm window. When I do "xrdb -merge .Xresources-foobar", which is my normal .Xresources file, I get my favored xterm settings EXCEPT that underscores are invisible. If I don't use the "-merge" flag, then that will cause subsequent xterms to show underscores. What's going on here? How can I fix it?

Here's my .Xresources file:

xterm*faceName: DejaVu Sans Mono :antialias=true
xterm*faceSize: 12

XTerm*renderFont: true
XTerm*utf8: 1
xterm*vt100.initialFont: 3
xterm*loginShell: true
xterm*vt100*geometry: 80x24
xterm*saveLines: 2000
xterm*charClass: 33:48,35:48,37:48,43:48,45-47:48,64:48,95:48,126:48
xterm*foreground: rgb:ee/ee/ee
xterm*background: rgb:00/00/00

--
David Griffith