Unable to compile newest emacs with gnutls

Attempting to build latest emacs I run into a problem gnutls not being
available.

  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/src/vcs/git/test --with-x=yes
       --with-x-toolkit=athena  --with-imagemagick
           --with-gpm --with-sound=no
  [...]

  configure: error: The following required libraries were not found:
      gnutls
  Maybe some development libraries/packages are missing?
  If you don't want to link with them give
     --with-gnutls=no
  as options to configure

I have these gnutls related pkgs installed:

  i A libcurl3-gnutls       - easy-to-use client-side URL transfer libra
  i   libgnutls-deb0-28     - GNU TLS library - main runtime library
  i   libgnutls-openssl27   - GNU TLS library - OpenSSL wrapper
  i A libneon27-gnutls      - HTTP and WebDAV client library (GnuTLS ena

I suspect it might be the dev pkgs that is needed:

  libgnutls-dev

But when I try to install it, I run into a complicated dependency
problem I don't know how to solve:

  aptitude install libgnutls-dev

    libgcrypt11{a} libgcrypt11-dev{ab} libgcrypt20-dev{a} libgnutls-dev{b}
    libgnutls26{a} libgnutlsxx27{a} libgpg-error-dev{a} libp11-kit-dev{a}
    libtasn1-3{a} libtasn1-3-dev{a}
  0 packages upgraded, 10 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
  Need to get 2,990 kB of archives. After unpacking 7,831 kB will be used.
   libgnutls-dev : Depends: libgnutls-openssl27 (= 2.12.20-8+deb7u5) but 3.3.8-6+deb8u4 is installed.
   libgcrypt11-dev : Breaks: libgnutls-dev (< 2.12.23-18) but 2.12.20-8+deb7u5 is to be installed.

       Keep the following packages at their current version:
  1)     libgnutls-dev [Not Installed]

  Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]

The offered solution ends with libngutls-dev not installed.

I walked thru several other solutions by pressing `. <ENTER>'

But none of the first 6 offer a way to end up with libgnutls-dev
installed.

I'm not even sure that is the missing pkg to allow emacs to compile
with gnutls...

Hopefully someone here will have experience compiling emacs from
source and will know or have a good idea what needs to be done here.