Re: Spam on Debian lists

On 21 April 2017 at 03:11, Cindy-Sue Causey <butterflybytes@gmail.com> wrote:
On 4/20/17, Ben Finney <bignose@debian.org> wrote:
> Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 22:40:56 +0200 Jochen Spieker <ml@well-adjusted.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > fc:
>> >
>> > Because this excludes use cases that are deemed valid by the list
>> > masters.
>>
>> Like what?
>
> I can't speak for the list masters, but I can speak for use cases that
> would exclude that I find valid:
>
> * Posting from a service (such as a mailing list aggregator) which
>   presents a single interface accessible without an email client.
>
> * Posting by people who we want to participate in the discussion, but
>   who do not (yet) see the benefit to themselves of going through a
>   subscription process.

​E.g. a post from Linus Torvalds, Lennart Poettering or a closed source processed meat canned foods manufacturer that wanted to make a donation  to the Debian Foundation.

Point Taken

MF​

> * Cross-posting on multiple forums when a discussion involves parties
>   outside Debian, and we don't want the discussion balkanised with some
>   people's responses rejected.

I can't point to real World examples, but I've seen multiple instances
of that last one occurring. Those not subscribed bore email addresses
from extremely.... "top tier" tech companies....

The topics varied, but it would be conversations regarding things such
as attempting to obtain more universal compatibility between Debian
and non-free hardware. *Something* like that....

Just thinking out loud... :)

Cindy

--
Cindy-Sue Causey