Re: Proper folder for non-Debian binaries

On 4/19/17, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed 19 Apr 2017 at 13:46:51 (-0400), Felix Miata wrote:
>> Brian composed on 2017-04-19 14:03 (UTC+0100):

>              ↑↑↑↑↑↑
>>
>> > /usr/local/bin
>>
>> I think not such a good idea, especially for any who need immediate
>> availability
>> of multiple versions of a web browsing application. Better
>> /usr/local/<applicationNameVersion>, like so:
>> # ls -gG /usr/local/
>> drwxr-xr-x  2  4096 Mar  2 01:17 bin
>> drwxr-xr-x  3  4096 Dec 28 03:58 Brother
>> drwxrwxr-x  2  4096 Mar 31 11:51 dfsee
>> drwxr-xr-x  3  4096 Feb 28 12:58 etc
>> drwxrwxrwx 13  4096 Dec 12  2013 ff2
> [... etc ...]
>
> That conflicts with the FHS §4.9 and with Debian's Policy Manual §9.1.1&2.

It has been a LONG time since I manually installed something that way,
but I do remember pointing my installs at /usr/local. My package
manager would take care of the rest by intelligently placing files in
Brian's recommended /usr/local/bin along with other locations such as
/usr/local/share and /usr/local/lib if required.

My rationale was that installing into /usr/local made it easier for me
to keep track of the packages I did install that way.

Whether that likewise conflicts, I'm not sure. I understand what's
being said there, but I've just never had to actually think on
it/worry about it since I've always been a single user system.

I do remember always wondering to myself if that /usr/local directory
meant that the package was only available to the "local" user behind
the install (even though "root" ultimately installed), but I never got
around to testing it with a second user.. :)

Just thinking out loud... :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey