Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

On Tuesday 18 April 2017 11:00:34 Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 05:34:56PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> > My (tiny) contributions to Debian in the form of
> > bug reports, patches and answering e-mails on this list here and
> > there did not provide me with any income ☺.
>
> Likewise; but your contributions are non-the-less appreciated. Thanks!
>
> > I'd like to switch an angle a bit here. Red Hat and community put
> > aside, who else is interested in Fedora?
> > For instance, it's impossible to name a single corporation (SPI does
> > not count) that stands behind a Debian, if there's any.
> > It's possible to do so for, say, OpenSUSE or (pardon) Ubuntu.
>
> In the past at least, HP hosted and provided servers and bandwidth for
> critical Debian build infrastructure, and (still) sponsor a group
> subscription to LWN for Debian developers. So you could answer "HP"
> here.  One could look at whoever (possibly still including HP, I
> haven't checked) provide or host Debian's infrastructure today.

If thats still the case Jonathan, and I suspect you may be in a position
to confirm or deny, if HP is providing such support to debian, then I'd
submit that it shouldn't be so well hidden.  Server machines cost money,
and so does the bandwidth. IMO HP should be thanked for providing that
service, by our raising HP to a higher position on the potential list of
products to purchase when we are in need of a printer or home server.

Credit is nicely given at <http://debian.org/partners>, which I see a
lengthy list of there.  No doubt the rest of that list also deserves our
support if they are within the geographical range applicable.

Those of us who care, should visit that link to keep ourselves up to
date, because those who do support debian, deserve our support.

TANSTAAFL principle at work folks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)