Re: Exim4 problem?

Charlie wrote:
> Received this on attempted upgrade:
>
> systemctl status exim4.service
> ● exim4.service - LSB: exim Mail Transport Agent
>    Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/exim4; generated; vendor preset: enabled)
>    Active: failed (Result: resources) since Fri 2017-04-14 10:24:05
> AEST; 4min 44s ago
>      Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
>   Process: 9436 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/exim4 start (code=exited,
> status=0/SUCCESS)
>
> Assume nothing I can do? Something that needs to be done higher up the scale?
>
> Can't uninstall or purge exim4 either.

  hmm...

  i'm assuming this is on testing/stretch version?

  is there something still running?  as it looks
like to me that it tried to restart when perhaps
another instance was running or something like
that...

  why would you need to uninstall or purge?  did
you interrupt the upgrade?  are your apt/dpkg
files inconsistent or showing dependency problems?

  what does systemctl status exim4 say
after you do a systemctl stop exim4

  ?

  and then a start?

  does it restart?

  check /var/log/apt/term.log
  and /var/log/dpkg.log

  or does something show up in the systemd
journal from that timeframe?

  see if there are any messages in those that may
give an idea of what is going on.

  i had exim4 upgrade go through today too.
because there were so many processes still
out of date according to checkrestart i
rebooted before doing anything else.

  i didn't see any errors in the upgrade or
in the reboot and my exim4 has been chugging
along all day.

  songbird