Re: Likely a BUG - was [Re: Recording needed data from mate-search-tool - possible?]

Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 04/05/2017 08:28 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

>>> Suggested content for a bug report.
>>>
>>> Problem Description: When right-clicking on selected item(s) and selecting
>>> "Save Results As..." valuable information is NOT recorded.
>>>
>>> What is saved: ONLY the complete path to file or directory.
>>> What is LOST:  item's type, containing folder, date, size.
>>> Solution:      add option to save as CSV file
>>> Reasoning:
>>>   The existing GUI provides tools for selecting/sorting data.
>>>   There are multiple tools for manipulating and printing CSV data.
>>>
>>> [As a side note - all folders report "size" of 4.1 kB.
>>>  Likely should be reported as blank or "N/A"]
>>>

>> Why not make the bug report yourself? No one else is likely to do it for
>> you.
>>
>> Mark
>>

> Of course ;)
> The reason I posted was to get preliminary feedback, particularly from
> songbird, on how reasonable my analysis was.

  i really think this is better done as a text
thing to begin with (as i've said before...)
using find, awk, sed, file, etc.

  gui stuff is just too limited IMO for what
special cases you may wish to add (more flexibility
for getting deeper info, like that which file
might provide).

> Also, based on a brief off
> list discussion, I wanted to get his opinion on how well it matched the
> direction he was trying to lead my thought process.

  Richard, my sympathies for this issue, but to be
realistic, filing a Debian bug for this is going to
result in little IMO.  the Debian MATE team needs
help (like most Debian packaging teams).

  what would likely get a response is a check of
the MATE team upstream site and sign up there and
post your issue to them:

  http://mate-desktop.org/
especially note: http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/roadmap

  better yet would be a source code patch...:
(against current repo is always best, but even against
the mate you have installed may be a good start for
someone else to adapt):

  apt-get build-dep mate-utils-common
  apt-get source mate-utils-common

  happy hacking,  ;)